- The Road Group was founded in 1992 to facilitate the construction of road access for cottagers who only had water access properties in the Mississagua Lake, Gold Lake and Catchacoma Narrows area within the current Municipality of Trent Lakes, Ontario, Canada.
- The Road Group manages a bridge and 13 km of roads on “only crown land” under an agreement with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.
- The Road Group is incorporated as a limited liability non-profit organization and operates like a “condo” association.
- 140 residential lot owners pay a “voluntary mandatory” annual fee for the right to use the road system.
- A nine member volunteer board of directors oversees the management of the corporation and it's operations.
- The original construction of the road was funded by each residential lot owner paying a capital amount for right to access the road.
- Each member pays an annual fee for the right to use the road system.
- The annual fees pay for the estimated maintenance costs of the road operation.
- The Road Group maintains a capital reserve fund for emergencies.
- Under provincial law an “unassumed” private road must to available for everyone to use.
Provide a road system with year-round access that enhances the property values for the owner’s members.
To operate a “safe, well maintained” cost effective privately funded road for cottage owners and all other users of the road system (the general public).
- To operate the road group corporation as a professional, non-profit business corporation.
- To manage the road system maintenance effectively and efficiently.
- To manage the finances of the road in an ethical and prudent manner with complete transparency.
- To communicate fully the strategies, operational mandates and financial forecasts to the members.
- To handle member inquiries and concerns in a timely and fair manner.